About The Children
There are close to 1,000 children on India’s CARINGs site. Most have moderate to severe special needs. Families with Indian heritage may wait for a direct referral from CARA of a healthier child. Families without Indian heritage must be open to a child with special needs.
Waiting Children are between 6 months and 16 years of age. The India program includes four categories, relative to your heritage:
- NRI: One spouse is an Indian Citizen, and the other is a US Citizen. This will be a Hague adoption process, and your child will become a US citizen. NRI families are eligible to adopt a young child with no known health problems.
- OCI: US citizens, of which one or both parents have Overseas Citizen of India status. You are eligible to adopt a young child with no known health problems, but the wait for a referral is currently 2.5 years after CARA approves you to adopt from India. Most OCI families are also open to a child with minor and or correctible special needs.
- Foreign: Families with no Indian heritage or Indian families that do not qualify as NRI or OCI. Foreign families must consider children with moderate to severe special needs.
- The maximum combined age for children 0-4 is 90 years.
- The maximum combined age for children 4-8 is 100 years.
- The maximum combined age for children 8+ is 110 years.
- The maximum age for children 0-4 is 45 years.
- The maximum age for children 4-8 is 50 years.
- The maximum age for children 8+ is 55 years.
Travel and Time Frame
TravelAdopting from India is a one-trip process lasting approximately 12 days. However, some Judges are requiring families be present at court. This would mean two short trips or one long trip.
Time FrameNRI families are currently waiting 12-18 months for a referral.
OCI families are currently waiting 2.5 years for a healthy referral from CARA.
Foreign families wait times depend on the special needs and age of the child they are wishing to adopt.
NOTE: Wait times are estimated and based on our current experience. All wait times are subject to change without notice. The estimated time between referral acceptance and travel to bring your child home is 6-10 months, depending on the court.
CHI has worked in India since 1975. We have professionals in India, as well as our U.S. staff ready to assist you through all the adoption steps. Please contact us for a conversation about your adoption.
- For a direct CARA referral, you will have a limited time in which to reserve a child. Then CARA allows an additional 30 days in which to decide to proceed with the adoption. During this time, you may visit the child, request additional information, etc.
- For a waiting child, you will have two weeks, to ask questions and speak to a doctor about the child´s health. Time extensions are allowed to receive additional information on the child´s health.
Want To Learn More
CHI will be happy to talk to you to discuss your hopes and dreams concerning adopting from India. Please contact us for a confidential conversation about your questions and thoughts. Please also see the following sites.
Click here to go to the State Department Website!
Click here to go to the Centers for Disease Control Website on International Adoption!
Click here to go to the CIA World Factbook on all countries!