Children with FASD and their potential

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)

Meet Paige, she is 3, she is cheerful and easily establishes relationships with adults and children.  Paige has signs of FAS, however despite Paige’s challenges she continues to learn and grow.

1.  To learn more about our precious children and 

2. Texas Christian Institute; The Institute of Child Development has a wonderful FASD resource:  page.


Article written by the CDC:

FASDs last a lifetime. There is no cure for FASDs, but research shows that early intervention treatment services can improve a child’s development.

There are many types of treatment options, including medication to help with some symptoms, behavior and education therapy, parent training, and other alternative approaches. No one treatment is right for every child. Good treatment plans will include close monitoring, follow-ups, and changes as needed along the way.

Also, “protective factors” can help reduce the effects of FASDs and help people with these conditions reach their full potential.

Protective factors include:

  • Diagnosis before 6 years of age

  • Loving, nurturing, and stable home environment during the school years

  • Absence of violence

  • Involvement in special education and social services

Learn more about treatments »

Sharing Concerns

For tips on sharing concerns about a child’s development, click on one of the following:

Parent to Physician

Physician to Parent

Parent to Parent

Get Help!

If you or the doctor thinks there could be a problem, ask the doctor for a referral to a specialist (someone who knows about FASDs), such as a developmental pediatrician, child psychologist, or clinical geneticist. In some cities, there are clinics whose staffs have special training in diagnosing and treating children with FASDs. To find doctors and clinics in your area visit the National and State Resource Directory from the National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (NOFAS).

At the same time as you ask the doctor for a referral to a specialist, call your state’s public early childhood system to request a free evaluation to find out if your child qualifies for intervention services. This is sometimes called a Child Find evaluation. You do not need to wait for a doctor’s referral or a medical diagnosis to make this call.

Where to call for a free evaluation from the state depends on your child’s age:

  • If your child is younger than 3 years old, contact your local early intervention system.

    Find your state’s early intervention contact information here.

  • If your child is 3 years old or older, contact your local public school system.

    Even if your child is not old enough for kindergarten or enrolled in a public school, call your local elementary school or board of education and ask to speak with someone who can help you have your child evaluate.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply